Friday, January 17, 2014

My Family Culture

If I had to choose three items to take with me in case of evacuation, I would choose three things that are most important to me.  The first thing would be my Quran that I’ve had with me since I was young.  It keeps me close to my religion and culture.   The second item would be a picture album of my family.   Actually I haven’t been able to go to Syria to see my family in three years and having their pictures close is very important to me.  The last item I would choose is Arabic coffee.  We have Arabic coffee several times a day and especially during special occasions; it is an essential part of our culture.
If I was told that I could only keep one personal item I would be devastated.  Actually I take my Quran with me whenever I travel so it would be very hard for me to leave it behind.  I also feel like I need to keep pictures of my family with me for moral support and as a reminder of my culture. 
Since I don’t live in my country of origin, I feel like I’ve always had these items with me whenever I travelled or moved.  This exercise helped me learn that religion and family are my main source of emotional support and that I always go back to them during difficult times; I feel that they are essential for my well-being. 

            

3 comments:

  1. I too value my Faith, and chose to take along my Bible. Thank you for sharing that.

    In some travels, I have drank numerous times the Arabic coffee. It's not for coffee beginners! Such great taste and flavor! What brand/kind is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ghayna,

    My faith is what keeps me grounded and rooted. I would keep my Bible with me and use it to know that God will never leave me or forsake me. Pictures of my family are so very important to me, but being able to read the word of God is the most important thing because it tells us what we need to know in order to survive in the midst of our storms and trails. Wonderful Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ghayna
    It is always touching to learn about the lives of those who have left their family, home, and country. I would not want to imagine not being able to see family for extended periods of time. I am glad that you have faith to help you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete