Thursday, February 20, 2014

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The country I chose for “my” family is Malaysia.  In order to be culturally responsive towards this family, I would first learn to say a few greeting words in Malaysian.  I would also learn a few things about the Malaysian culture, such as the dominant religion, values and traditions.  Learning about national holidays and displaying photos in the classroom would also allow the children to feel more confortable.  I would also learn about family structures in Malaysia in order to prevent misunderstandings while meeting the family, I would not want to offend any family members.  Learning about education in Malaysia would also help me better understand this family’s expectations.

These preparations will give me some knowledge about what to expect from this family and will promote a successful first meeting with them.  However, I believe that the best way to get to know the family is to listen to their individual needs and expectations for their children; and to discuss ways they would want me to help their children be successful at school.  The most important thing is not to keep any stereotypes or biases in mind while meeting the family and their children to prevent microaggressions.

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you included to learn about their educational styles within the country, as this will directly affect how they perceive your work and their work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Identifying family priorities is important foundation when developing relationships. It is also wonderful that you bring items to demonstrate that the child is part of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ghayna,

    It is wonderful that you would like to learn more about the educational system in Malaysia. This would insure your ability to understand how they learn and you would be able to enhance what they are doing with your understanding of their learning base. Learning about the family and their values will help to ensure they feel welcomed, thus, allowing them the comfort of knowing that you care about them and their heritage. Wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete