Thursday, March 20, 2014

Cultural Diversity

I meet people from different groups and cultures everyday; and I find myself communicating differently with each of them.  Actually, I use a different language while communicating with my neighbors than my family.  I also use different communication codes; in fact, my husband would understand what I meant to say from a simple look whereas a stranger would misunderstand me.  I also think that I avoid disagreeing with people who come from a culture where disagreeing with an older person is considered rude.

            In order to communicate more effectively with people from different groups and cultures, it is important to have knowledge about these groups’ culture and values.  We should also put any biases, stereotypes and prejudices aside while communicating with others; this will promote healthy relationships.  Another strategy we could use to communicate more effectively is using the Platinum Rule (Beebe, Beebe, & Redmond, 2011).  It allows us to treat others the way they would like to be treated; therefore we should listen to them more carefully and to consider their feelings.  

4 comments:

  1. Ghayna,

    I think that we often adjust our method of communication according to the audience. I was reared not to talk back to adults, but children today seem to say and do as they please with no regard to age. Another part of my childhood was to always use sir and ma'am when answering an adult. It's a Southern thing that I still do and others that were not raised that way are offended because they think that I am acknowledging their age instead of showing respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ghayna,

    We address people differently because of age, gender, religion, and political standings. What I mean by this is when we are addressing an elder, we would say sir and ma'am but when we are addressing our friends or relatives of the same age, it would be totally different. We would say their name or call them cousin. It is important to use the Platinum Rule in all situations in order to maintain a sense of pride and respect at all times for the other person and for one's self.

    Joyce Galloway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghayna,
    You made a good point when you stated that your husband can understand you from just a look where strangers would not. That is so true. I can even think of the term "inside joke" in which you and a friend may bust out laughing and some innocent statement that others do not understand the humor in.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mentioning close relationships to you that can recognize your feelings without words, this is very true! Any person that spends an extended period of time with another has this capability, if they're sensitive to understanding it. Great point!
    You mentioned you speak a different language to your neighbor. I am interested to understand if you mean different dialect of the language or complete different one.

    ReplyDelete