Friday, March 14, 2014

Nonverbal Communication

           For this assignment, I chose to watch the show “Suits”.  I had never watched the show before and I was not sure what it was about.  Watching the episode with the sound off, there seems to be six main characters, three men and three women.  They all work in a law firm.  One of the men seems to be the boss, I can tell because of his posture and physical appearance.  He seems to be interested in one of the women.  The two other women also seem to be lawyers working with the men.  The man, who seems to be the boss, is showing dominance over the other lawyer and seems to want to show him that he is superior.  One of the women seemed to be giving advice about dealing with his boss.  The two men were in court dealing with a case, the boss came in with his phone in his hand and that seemed to upset the judge. The third man was difficult for me to read, I was not sure what his relationship is with the other characters but he seemed to be an important character in the show. 
After watching the show with the sound on, I found out that I was right, one of the men was the boss and he was being very rude to his employee; he seemed to lack communication skills.  The woman he seemed to be interested in was actually someone he was dating; and the third man was her husband.  The woman who was giving advice to the second man was telling him how he should deal with his boss and solve the case. 
If I knew the show well before watching it with the sound off, I think I would have understood it more because I would have known about the characters’ relationship with each other; I also would have had an idea about the main plot.  However, even though I watched the show for the first time with the sound off, I had an idea about who had effective communication skills and who did not. 


5 comments:

  1. I have never watched that show either but my best friend loves it. With a title like "Suits" it seems that the characters would be kinda stuffy, no pun intended. You did a good job analyzing the nonverbal communication. Would you watch this show after this experiment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Felicia, with a name like "Suits" the stigma behind men that wear "suits" to work is that they offer patience and grace upon those they come in contact with at a work environment. Did you like the show? Did you learn anything for your professional career after watching it, in regards to effective communication?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghayna,
    I have seen this show before and there is a whole lot of drama going on. It was interesting to me that you correctly pinpointed the boss by his the heir he has. You do not realize how much nonverbal communication we are using all the time. If you had the sound on do you think that you would have payed attention to the nonverbal gestures that the boss was doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felicia, I am not sure I would watch it again, there seems to be too much drama going on in that show!
    Shelly, this show made me realize that nonverbal language is much more powerful than it seems; before starting this assignment, I did not think I would be able to understand what was going on without the sound on.
    Alyssa, watching the show with the sound off made me pay more attention to the nonverbal language. I think that having the sound on would not require me to pay attention to the nonverbal language in order to understand the plot, so I don't think I would have noticed all the cues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ghayna,

    I am sorry that this post is late, but I have been very ill for the past few days. I stayed off work today to try and get better. Now, back to the post, I have seen Suits before and you were right about everything you noticed with the sound off. It was amazing how you were able to pick out certain things. You read body language very well. Awesome blog.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete