Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Team Building and Collaboration

           From all the groups I had to leave, the high-performing ones were the hardest to say goodbye to.  The groups with clear established norms were where I felt there was a comfortable, trusting, and respectful atmosphere.  The group that was hardest to leave was the group I had with my colleagues at work.  We had regular meetings where we all knew exactly what our tasks were.  This allowed us to work fast and efficiently, with very little conflict.  The minor conflicts we had were quickly solved and all members were always satisfied with the results.  This group had no clear leader as we all worked together and equally contributed to the meetings.  There was a very trusting relationship between us because we all had one same goal: doing what was best for our students.  Leaving this group was very difficult for me because it was a place where I could share my ideas knowing that they would be discussed and not simply rejected. 
            Adjourning from the group of colleagues I have formed while working on my master’s degree in this program is going to be a difficult task for me.  Actually, I have to take a few months off and I am already worried about not being with the same colleagues in discussions when I come back.  I feel that we have formed a trusting team by working together and regularly discussing ideas. 
            Adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it allows us to reflect on our accomplishments.  I also believe that having a gathering to say good-bye to a team I have been working with for a long time allows the relationship to change from being a professional relationship to a more friendly and casual one. 


4 comments:

  1. It is hard to depart from a group that is successful. It is also hard to find another group that shares the same commitment and dedication to your goals or objectives.I am glad that you were able to open up and express your ideas in this group. I have enjoyed being in our discussion group. Your comments, suggestions and feedback have been very helpful. Best of luck if we are not in the same group upon your return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings about adjourning from this group. It will be hard to do because we have all learned so much from one another. I really appreciate your insights and participating in this group to allow me to learn from you. I want to say congratulations on having such wonderful successes that you can look back on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ghayna,

    I totally agree with you about adjourning being such an important part of being in a group. When you leave a team that has been successful and you have grown fond of the people with which you work with, it is hard to say good-bye especially when you do not know when you may see those people again. Like you, it is going to be difficult for me to stop having discussion with my colleagues that I have grown so very fond of, but I hope that the friendships forged with last far beyond the graduation. Excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too took time off from Walden after the birth of my son. I took a year off and thought the same things of concern. Do not fret! The next group that you will come into contact with will welcome you and join in with you in the same manner! When you open up, they will too and you will feel just a part with them as the others! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete