Saturday, November 9, 2013

Your Personal Research Journey

The topic I chose for the research simulation is the importance of play in early childhood development.  The reason I chose this topic is that recently, there has been so much pressure on teachers to cover the academic curriculum that children aren’t given enough play time. Throughout this course, I have learned about the necessity of including all kinds of play in a child’s everyday life.  I have also learned about all the positive outcomes play has on children’s early development. 
I am using the Walden Library to find journal articles providing information about play and early childhood development.  I found several articles about pretend play, rough and tumble play, role play; and about how all these kinds of play are important in a child’s development. 

Since this topic is a vast one, I think I will need advice from my colleagues on how to start this research process and ways to obtain new information and findings.  I think I will also need advice on sorting resources; I tend to gather too many resources and then I always have a hard time studying only the most relevant ones.  One relevant resource that I have studied in a previous course is The vital role of play in early childhood education (Almon J., 2002).

6 comments:

  1. You really chose an important topic because I too feel it is so important to keep play in our early childhood classrooms. You could examine the different types of play and how they benefit children if you want to narrow your topic, or even focus on one type of play. Fantasy, constructive, etc. I have also found the research on rough and tumble play and how important it is for boys very interesting. Those are just a couple of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghayana-
    What an interesting topic! The benefits of play are getting a lot of limelight recently. You have a very comprehensive list of different types of play. I know my teachers struggle with tolerating rough and tumble play as some children do not have that exposure at home. Maybe considering a date range for research would help to narrow down the selection that is available. Good luck in your journey! I can't wait to see what you uncover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ghayna,
    Play is an interesting topic. there are many articles that highlight the importance of rough and tumble play in building social skills and reveal that rough and tumble play sets the foundation for sports games spirit from early childhood to adulthood.
    Good luck in your research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ghayna,

    As we have studied in earlier courses, the role of play is extremely vital in the early childhood field, but so many people do not understand just how play is incorporated into the academic world of the preschool child. I feel research is an excellent way to prove what the children learn from play and how it is justified in this field. Excellent subject matter.

    Joyce Galloway

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ghayna,
    I would encourage you to look outside of Walden Library for resources as well. I like your topic! It's one that is greatly talked about in the early childhood field of education. I can't wait to see all the exciting information you will share about this topic going forward:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ghayna,

    I am going back to Walden in January, but I decided to preview the blogs. I am thinking it would be interesting to research how dramatic play develops language skills that can affect a child's ability to read. If you narrow the topic like this, you will find less articles. This will help limit the overwhelming amount of articles you might encounter. I am personally am interested in this because I hear my lead teacher say to the kids too often that circle time is the most important time of the day. I disagree. I believe that play develops language and is therefore a crucial prereading experience. What do you think? My own research will be related to dual language learners, so you won't be taking an idea that I'm going to use.

    Liz Thomas

    ReplyDelete